We cannot be more excited that Christmas is finally here! December is a favourite month all around the world, especially as it holds so much magic. Part of its allure is food, particularly the delicious seasonal snacks that make you want to belt out Christmas carols at the top of your lungs – and Gingerbread Rolls make you want to do just that!
Ingredients – For the dough
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- One tbsp dry active yeast (not rapid rise)
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 ½ cup 7 Star All Purpose Flour (divided)
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp – Honey
- 2 tbsp – unsalted butter (softened)
- Add sugar, yeast, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, along with 1 ¾ cups flour into a mixing bowl. Whisk them together.
- Next, blend the milk and butter in a saucepan and cook them in medium heat until butter is melted.
- Pour the buttery-milk solution to flour mixture and beat them on low speed. Gradually add the remaining flour (1 ¾ cups) and continue beating for 4-5 minutes until the resulting mixture appears smooth.
- After that, transfer the resulting dough to a greased mixing bowl, cover it with a clean cloth, and let it sit for about one hour.
Ingredients – For the Filling
- ½ cup – Brown sugar
- 6 tbsp – unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 ½ tsp – Ground ginger
- 1 tbsp – ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp – Ground cloves
- For the filling, combine the five ingredients in a bowl.
- Then, sprinkle your rolling board with flour and roll the dough into a rectangle, approximately into a 12 x 16” in size.
- Next, evenly spread the filling on the rolled-out dough and roll it into a log.
- Cut them into pieces and lay them down on a lightly buttered baking dish (9 x 13” or 8 x 8”).
- Cover them with a clean towel and let it rise for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
Ingredients – For the Topping
- 113.4g – Cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 1/3 cup – Powdered sugar (divided)
- ½ tsp – Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp – Honey
- Make the topping by folding cream cheese with one cup of powdered sugar in a bowl. (Don’t forget to add the vanilla!)
- Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar with honey and one teaspoon of warm water in another bowl.
- Finally, fan out the cream cheese mixture on warm rolls and sprinkle them with a honey glaze.