Cinnamon is a spice that certainly satisfies the Sri Lankan palate and so why not create an extraordinary dish with that very spice for your Christmas table? Here’s a recipe for those who absolutely adore baking, and love the combination of cinnamon, and apples!
- 3 cups 7 Star All-Purpose Flour + extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
THE CINNAMON ROLL CRUST
- 4 tbsp. butter softened
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 apples cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. 7 Star All-Purpose Flour + more for rolling
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
FOR THE ICING
- 1/4 powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. milk
Method – Dough
- Freeze the flour and butter for 30 minutes before preparing the crust.
- Pulse sugar, salt, and flour to combine. Add butter and pulse until pea-size pieces of dough can be seen. Add vinegar and iced water 1 tablespoon at a time while the crust dough continues to pulse. The dough begins to moisten, the end result should not be sticky but a crumbly texture.
- Place the dough mix onto a floured surf and divide it into 2 balls. Flatten both balls into discs and wrap with cling foil. Freeze for 30 minutes.
Method – Crust
- Whisk sugar and cinnamon together. Roll out the pastry discs into rectangles (7”x10”). spread out 2 tablespoons of butter on the dough and sprinkle the cinnamon mix on top.
- Roll up the dough the long side in. Wrap with cling foil and freeze for 30 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Slice each log into circles ½” thick and place them lightly on floured parchment in a tight circle. Wrap in cling foil and freeze for 30 minutes.
Method – Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Grease your pie dish. In a big bowl, mix the apple, flour, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
- Place one set of pie rolls for the base of the pie and add the apple mix into it. Place the next set of rolls on top and make sure to seal the dough together. Bake for about 50 minutes.
- While the pie bakes, make your icing by combining milk and icing sugar. Once the pie is done, pour over the crust.